Change is upon us in the world. But what can we do to both be a part of this change and flourish while taking action? Here are nine steps to break it down into a manageable process…
- Solitude and Silence. For 15 minutes every day, disconnect and unwind. Don't talk to anyone, and be entirely alone. Focus on taking slow, deep breaths, and when possible, connect with nature - take a walk amongst plants and trees and try and absorb the energy they offer.
- Physicality. Exercise 4 times a week. Find something that you like and do it for 30 mins to an hour. Learn how to cook, and see cooking or food preparation as a positive way of feeding both your mind, body and spirit. Start small, and see where it goes.
- Abundant Knowledge. Learn something new every day. Spend 5 minutes investigating ANYTHING. Start reading books if you don't already do this. Try a book a month to start with - reading before bed is more relaxing than watching movies. Try it 1-2 times a week.
- Personal Reflection. In moment of silence we can practice this; it is a form of inner contemplation. We all have sleeping talents inside us. By taking the time to get to know ourselves, we get to know our talents and then we can kindle them. At the end of the day think about what you would have done differently, and if there was a situation that was not ideal, how you would deal with it the next time. This is an important step to turning our lives around.
- Early Awakening. Go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. Take the morning slowly and don't feel rushed.
- Music. Listen to some music every day. It's a great motivator. Experiment with music that you thought you didn't like. Classical, pop, jazz... it doesn't matter what. Start to feed your soul.
- The Spoken Word. Motivate yourself through self-talk. I can do it. I will do it. I am strong. I am vulnerable. Remember Stuart Smalley from SNL? There's more to it than you might think!
- Congruent Character. Listen to your heart and know yourself. Learn to create boundaries and say, "NO!" when you mean it. Say "YES!" when you want to. Start to be the person you feel you are and begin to share this with others.
- Simplicity. Keep it simple. Focus on priorities and those activities which are truly meaningful. Don't waste time on thoughts, actions and relationships that don't serve you. It's not a sin to be selfish.