What is pH?
PH is a scale used to measure acidity and alkalinity. It ranges from 1 – 14 with 1 being very acidic, 7 being neutral and 14 being very alkaline. It is surprisingly important and the ideal body pH is around 7.35. The homeostatic body controls do their best to maintain this level and it is a lot of work. When we control our pH over the long-term, it will help to prevent illnesses and infections that tend to thrive in an acidic environment. We can only influence our pH marginally, but higher acidity will lead to a change in intestinal flora, which in turn leads to a slippery slope towards ill health.
How to Maintain a Healthy pH
- Hydrate - make sure you're drinking 3 liters of water per day.
- Reduce caffeinated drinks and alcohol.
- Reduce animal protein - less meat!
- Reduce sugar intake.
- Eat more organic vegetables.
- Juice! Get a juicer and juice some veggies. Every day if possible, but 3-4 times a week is good.
- Keep some pH strips in the bathroom and measure your urine pH level!
- Sleep more - 8 - 9 hours a night in the winter and 7-8 in the summer.
- Less stress - don't put yourself in stressful situations, and learn how to better deal with stress (meditation, yoga, exercise).
- Keep processed foods out of your diet!